Universal Audio Apollo 8 Interface with UAD-2 QUAD Processing (Mac - Windows)
Next-Generation Audio Conversion with Classic Analog Sound and QUAD Core Processing.
Apollo 8 is the world’s most acclaimed professional recording interface for Mac and Windows, giving project and commercial studios superior A/D and D/A conversion with the tone, feel, and realtime workflow of classic analog recording. Built upon UA’s 60-year heritage of audio craftsmanship, Apollo 8 distinguishes itself with four Unison™-enabled mic preamps, UAD-2 QUAD or DUO Core processing, and an included bundle of award-winning UAD plug-ins — which you can track through with near-zero latency, shaping sounds like a classic analog studio — without taxing your host Mac or PC.
- Record with world-class Apollo A/D and D/A conversion — as heard on hundreds of hit records.
- Mix with UAD plug‑ins like the included Teletronix® LA‑2A and 1176 compressors, Pultec® EQs, and 610‑B Preamp.
- Cascade up to 4 Apollo interfaces and 6 UAD-2 devices over Thunderbolt, adding DSP and I/O as your studio grows.
- Track with near-zero latency through preamp emulations from Neve®, API®, Manley® and more using Unison™ technology.
Unison Technology: The Genuine Sound of Neve, SSL, API & Manley Preamps - Apollo 8 features two Unison-enabled mic preamps, letting you track through exacting mic preamp emulations from Neve, SSL, API, Manley, and Universal Audio. An Apollo exclusive, Unison technology nails the tone of these sought-after tube and solid state mic pres — including their input impedance, gain stage “sweet spots,” and the component-level circuit behaviors of the original hardware. The secret to Unison is its hardware-software integration between Apollo’s mic preamps and its onboard UAD-2 QUAD or DUO Core DSP Acceleration. Simply place a Unison preamp plug-in on your mic input in Apollo Console software, and it physically reconfigures the Apollo interface's impedance — so you can tap into the classic sounds of the world’s most recorded mic preamps.
A Full Suite of Classic Analog Processing Onboard - Right out of the box, Apollo 8 provides a suite of incredible analog emulation plug-ins including the world’s only authentic Teletronix LA-2A, 1176LN, Pultec EQs, and the Unison-enabled UA 610-B Tube Preamp. Developed by UA’s world-renowned team of algorithm engineers, these Realtime Analog Classics plug-ins set the standard by which all other hardware emulation plug-ins are judged. From the tube warmth of the Pultec EQ on guitars, to the gentle limiting of the LA-2A on vocals, your recordings will take a giant leap forward in rich, sonically complex analog sound.
Access the World of UAD Powered Plug-Ins - Beyond the included Realtime Analog Classics plug-ins, Apollo 8 lets you tap into the full library award-winning UAD Powered Plug-Ins — including vintage EQs, Compressors, Reverbs, Tape Machines and more — at near-zero latency, regardless of your audio software’s buffer size and without taxing your computer’s CPU. With exclusive emulations from Neve, Studer, Manley, API, Ampex, Lexicon, Fender, and more, it’s like having an endless analog studio, right on your desktop. And unlike competing interfaces, these DSP-powered plug-ins are also available in your DAW for mixing.
Next-Generation A/D and D/A Conversion - Of course, the heart of any audio interface is the quality of its conversion. Apollo 8 improves upon the original Apollo Twin’s gold-standard audio quality with completely redesigned A/D and D/A conversion — giving you increased dynamic range and ultra-low THD. This next-generation conversion results in breathtaking clarity, depth, and accuracy in your recordings.
Apollo: The Choice of New-School Professionals - Apollo is the confirmed choice of hit-making professionals, used to record records by Kendrick Lamar (To Pimp A Butterfly), Coldplay (A Head Full of Dreams), Dr. Dre (Compton), Brad Paisley (Wheelhouse), and many more. The Apollo range of interfaces has earned numerous industry awards from Sound on Sound, Future Music and Electronic Musician — as well as the prestigious 2016 TEC Award for computer audio hardware. "Apollo's next-gen A/D and D/A conversion sounds incredibly detailed, with great clarity and tighter, punchier low end. And with the Console 2.0 app, I have all of the routing and monitoring options I need." - Dave Pensado (Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé, Maroon 5)
Improved Monitoring and Built‑In Talkback Mic - The new Apollo 8 offers greatly improved monitor functionality versus the original — with Mute, DIM, Mono, and ALT speaker switching. It also includes dedicated monitor remote controls and a built-in Talkback mic for easy communication with talent and/or recording slate cues. These features, combined with Apollo 8's scalability, make it the new standard for professional desktop recording.
Build a Networked Studio - Thanks to Apollo Expanded software, users of any Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo Twin, Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, and Apollo 16 audio interfaces can combine up to four Apollos and six total UAD-2 devices — adding I/O and DSP as your studio grows. Apollo 8 makes the perfect intelligent desktop controller for a full Apollo system.
Now with Vintage Amps - Apollo 8 also includes Unison technology on its front panel instrument input, giving you access to dead-on emulations of guitar and bass amps like the Fender '55 Tweed Deluxe, Marshall Plexi Super Lead 1959, and the Ampeg B-15N Bass Amplifier.
A Sleek, Low-latency App - With Apollo 8's Console 2.0 application — a complete re-imagining of Apollo’s original Console software — you can take advantage of over 25 user-requested features such as Channel Strip presets, Drag & Drop functionality, dynamically resizable windows, and more.
Realtime Analog Classics Bundle - With the Realtime Analog Classics plug-in bundle, you get legendary compressors like the Teletronix® LA-2A and EQs like the Pultec® EQP-1A, stunning guitar and bass amp emulations from Softube, as well as UA’s landmark 610-B Tube Preamp and EQ plug-in.
- UA 610-B Tube Preamp and EQ - Impart your tracks with the iconic warmth and character of the classic hardware used to track everyone from Duke Ellington to Coldplay. By emulating the entire signal path, including tube amplifiers, transformers, and circuit nonlinearities, the 610-B Tube Preamp and EQ plug-in injects organic detail and saturation to any signal — whether you’re re-amping or tracking through the 610-B via Universal Audio’s Unison™ technology.
- Marshall® Plexi Classic Amplifier - The undisputed alpha dog of rock and roll guitar amps, the Marshall “plexi” amplifier is as legendary as the music it helped create. From Jimi Hendrix to Jimmy Page, Duane Allman to Eric Clapton, the Plexi’s punishing melange of snarl, sustain, smoothness, and raunch defined the sound of rock. Developed by Softube, the Marshall Plexi Classic Amp plug-in gives you the sound of this iconic amp with a perfectly placed microphone from engineer Tony Platt who recorded AC/DC’s Back in Blackand Highway to Hell.
- Teletronix® LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier (Legacy) - With its gentle, program dependent optical compression and meticulously designed tube amplifier, the LA-2A is the go-to compressor for professional mixers around the world — especially for vocals. Incredibly easy-to-use Peak Reduction and Gain controls gives you the ideal optical compression sound for guitar, bass, drums, and more.
- 1176SE/LN® Classic Limiting Amplifiers (Legacy) - Get classic, ultra-fast FET compression from the world’s most recognized compressor. The 1176 will impart punch, presence, and character as well as its signature distortion overtones on drums, vocals, guitars, and bass. The 1176LN has graced countless recordings, from Led Zeppelin, to the White Stripes and Michael Jackson.
- Pultec® Pro Equalizers (Legacy) - Mix with two of the most sought-after hardware EQs ever made — the MEQ-5 Midrange Equalizer and the EQP-1A Program Equalizer. Both of these tube-based icons deliver smooth and silky EQ curves with an abundance of warm analog character.
- Precision Mix Rack Collection - Featuring the Precision Channel Strip, Precision Reflection Engine, and Precision Delay Modulation plug-ins, the Precision Mix Rack Collection offers four modern, high-fidelity plug-ins for recording and mixing. Powerful and intuitive, Precision Mix Rack Collection gives you an impressive tool set — perfect for beginners and seasoned professionals alike.
- Raw Distortion - Modeled from a vintage early-’80s Pro Co Rat, Raw Distortion delivers all the gritty dynamic raunch of the legendary stompbox. And with Unison™ technology, you can plug in to Apollo Twin, 8, or 8p’s front-panel Hi-Z instrument jack and experience the same circuit interaction, gain range, and clip points for the true tone, feel, and response of the original hardware.
- Softube Bass Amp Room - Based on a classic and versatile 1970’s bass amp, Softube’s Bass Amp Room plug-in boasts a vast range of sonic textures — from clean and fat to gritty and thick. Offering a monstrous 8x10 cabinet, blend-able DI, and adjustable mic placement, the Bass Amp Room plug-in gives you enough sonic versatility to cover any genre.
- RealVerb Pro - RealVerb Pro is a flexible, natural sounding reverb based on UA’s own unique set of algorithms. Allowing you to design the room just as you hear it, the RealVerb Pro goes beyond simply big/small or dark/bright, giving your sources distortion-free, smoothing diffusion control and ultra-long reverb tail.
Praise for the Apollo
"The Apollo has some of the better preamps I've ever heard – lots of headroom, quiet at high-gains, and the converters are really sweet-sounding." - Mick Guzauski (Daft Punk, Mariah Carey, Eric Clapton)
"The Apollo is the best I/O we've ever used, and we've tried them all. It has an incredibly clean, transparent, and accurate sound." - The Glitch Mob
"Having the Apollo with UAD plug-ins at my disposal is like carrying a giant studio with outboard racks at all times. Minus the tech fees, down time, and electricity bill!" - Andrew Dawson (Kanye West, Jay-Z, Fun.)
"My Apollos are my sound.Where I go, they go." - Trevor Lawrence Jr. (Dr. Dre, Herbie Hancock, Eminem)
"With the Apollo 8 in the studio and an Apollo Twin on the go, I know I've got the best sound quality and an incredible arsenal of plug-ins — wherever I'm working." - Jeremy Ruzumna (Fitz And The Tantrums)
"I knew about the ingredients of Apollo, but this is truly a special dish. The Apollo just set a new standard of excellence for audio interfaces, in terms of both its sound and its feature set." - Fab Dupont (Shakira, Santigold, Jennifer Lopez)
"The Apollo's ability to do low latency – mean that's the whole ballgame right there." - Joey Waronker (Atoms for Peace, Beck, Other Lives)
"Apollo is a platform that grows more powerful with every innovation – the UAD plug-in processing onboard has changed the way I work forever." - Tony Platt (AC/DC, Bob Marley, Buddy Guy)
"Using my Apollos and Console 2.0, I was able to front a live mix, create a monitor mix, and record to Pro Tools, all at the same time. That’s pretty awesome." - Chris Dugan (Green Day, Iggy Pop, U2)
"I’m totally blown away by the stunning sound quality of the Apollo. The ability to use UAD plug-ins in real-time is pure genius. It’s going to be the centerpiece of my new studio." - Richard Devine
"The Apollo is a powerhouse and a game changer for my studio." - Grieves
- 18 x 24 Thunderbolt audio interface for Mac and Windows* with powerful Console 2.0 software control
- 4 Unison™-enabled mic preamps for recording through exacting preamp emulations from Neve, API, Manley, and Universal Audio
- Built-in UAD-2 QUAD or DUO Core allows Realtime UAD Processing — tracking through DSP-assisted UAD plug-ins with near-zero latency, without draining CPU
- Includes “Realtime Analog Classics Plus” UAD plug-in bundle featuring authentic LA-2A, 1176, and Fairchild®compressors, Pultec® EQs, UA 610 tube preamp, and more
- Next-generation 24-bit/192 kHz Apollo A/D and D/A conversion as heard on hundreds of hit records
- Cascade up to 4 Apollo interfaces and 6 UAD devices total over Thunderbolt
- Convenient front panel monitoring functions including Alt Speakers, and assignable Dim or Mono
- World-class UA analog design, superior components, and premium build quality
- Free, industry-leading technical support — on the phone and online — from knowledgeable audio engineers
Thunderbolt System Requirements
- Apple Mac computer with available Thunderbolt port
- (Mac) macOS 10.10 Yosemite, 10.11 El Capitan, 10.12 Sierra, or 10.13 High Sierra
- PC computer with built-in Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C port
- Windows 10 w/Anniversary Update (64-Bit Edition)
- Qualified Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (sold separately)
- Thunderbolt 2 cable (sold separately)
- 6 gigabytes available storage
- Internet connection to download software and authorize UAD plug-ins
- Compatible VST, Audio Units, RTAS, or AAX 64 plug-in host DAW software
- Quad Core i7 or better processor recommended