AEA RPQ3 Microphone Preamplifier
The AEA RPQ3 preamp and EQ utilizes our newest 3rd generation circuit design. Two channels of high-output, high-impedance, and low-noise gain with our unique EQ architecture optimizes the performance of your microphones.
RPQ3 PREAMP OVERVIEW
- Two channels with 85dB of sweet, quiet, and mouthwatering JFET gain
- High-frequency CurveShaper™ EQ and low frequency proximity control
- 68k ohm high-impedance circuitry providing better overall transients, frequency response, and higher output sensitivity
- Post-Mic and Pre-EQ Inserts for convenient routing options
- Switchable phantom-power and polarity invert
- Made in the U.S.A.
ENHANCE YOUR RIBBONS. The AEA RPQ3 Ribbon Preamp and EQ provide two channels of high-output, high-impedance, and low-noise gain with a rich and natural sound that brings out the full potential of your microphones. Specifically designed for ribbon microphones, the RPQ3 excels at drawing out the warmth and lush sound that ribbons are uniquely known for.
A GAIN POWERHOUSE. The RPQ3 is a powerhouse that provides unparalleled high gain with low-noise. With 85db of JFET output, the RPQ3 gives you enough juice to record soft sources without ever having to worry about noise. The RPQ3 is the tool of choice for all microphones whenever a true and pristine signal path is desired. Our 3rd generation circuitry is the cleanest and most musical design we've done yet.
LESS NOISE THAN OUTER SPACE. With the RPQ3, you will never consider a source too quiet to record with a ribbon mic ever again. Passive ribbons with low output levels require preamps that supply a high level of output. If the preamp you use doesn’t have enough clean gain, the mic signal may seem too soft or noisy which may be apparent when recording quiet acoustic guitars or strings, especially at a distance or with long cable runs. The RPQ3 eliminates this concern.
CURVESHAPER™ EQ. The RPQ3’s CurveShaper™ EQ is a powerful tool that gives you the ability to control your microphone right at the start of the signal path. The updated adjustable boost/cut low and high-frequency controls allow you to tame proximity problems and provide high-frequency extension with slope control. The high-frequency filter boost enables you to add presence and air to your source –perfect for sources like ribbons and 2-busses that often benefit from some extra top-end. The low-frequency control easily removes bass build-up in a fast and unobtrusive way.
HIGH IMPEDANCE MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE. The sound and tonality of dynamic microphones like ribbons and moving-coils are directly affected by the impedance of a preamp. The higher the impedance, the better the sound. The RPQ3 boasts an extra high input impedance of 68K Ohms (phantom power off).
Preamps with an impedance of under 10k ohms will limit the lows, highs, and transients of your passive microphones. The RPQ3’s high impedance will reveal your microphone’s true nature– a thick low-end, open top-end, and articulate transient response that you will need to hear to believe. Both condensers and active microphones also benefit from the RPQ3’s impedance.
EXCEPTIONAL PREAMPS. The worlds best microphones, coupled with AEA’s range of transparent preamps, are the key choice for discerning recordists who want total control over their signal path. AEA offers the RPQ3, RPQ500, TRP3 and TRP500 microphone preamps, all of which provide clean gain and ultra high impedance to open up the sound of your microphones. All AEA Ribbon Preamps all share the same topology and sound. The differences between each unit come down to extra EQ features and form factor.
- Max Gain at 1 kHz: 85 dB
- EIN (Max gain, 22 Hz to 22 KHz, unweighted):
- -130 dBu (typical), 40 Ω source
- -128 dBu (typical), 150 Ω source
- Frequency Response:
- 30 dB gain: (-0.6 dB 10 Hz, -3 dB 160 kHz)
- 85 dB gain: (-3 dB 10 Hz and 160 kHz)
- THD+N: 0.0018% (1kHz, 22 Hz-22 kHz @30 dB Gain +4 dBu output)
- XLR Output Max Level: +27 dBu into 600 Ω load
- Input Impedance: 11.3 kΩ (with Phantom), 68 kΩ (no Phantom)
- Output Impedance: 50 Ω
- Max Input Signal Level: +20 dBu (minimum gain)
- Stepped Gain Control: 12-position switch from +7 dB to +65 dB
- Output Trim: Continuously variable from 0 dB to +20 dB
- EQ Circuitry:
- First order shelving response
- 20 dB max boost/cut high range, 10 dB max boost/cut low range
- Low frequency sweep continuously variable 40 Hz to 675 Hz
- High frequency sweep continuously variable 2 kHz to 28 kHz
- Input and Output XLR Polarity: Pin 2 hot
- LED Signal Level Indicators:
- Green LED ≅ -20 dBu;
- Yellow LED = 0 dBu;
- Red LED ≅ +20 dBu (clipping +27 dBu)