Universal Audio 6176 Vintage Channel Strip
A classic tube microphone preamp and 1176LN compressor in a single unit.
Buy a 6176 Vintage Channel Strip between August 1st and October 31st and get a FREE UAD-2 Quad DSP Accelerator, a $999 value! Choice of one of the following: UAD-2 Satellite TB3 or USB QUAD Core. This free product is redeemable with Universal Audio directly, who will send you the FREE UAD-2 Quad DSP Accelerator upon registration of your UA 6176 ordered and sent from from Guildwater Gear.
The 6176 Vintage Channel Strip combines the alluring, all-tube sounds of the legendary Bill Putnam-designed 610 microphone preamp, with the signature FET compression of our 1176LN, to create the ultimate recording channel strip.
The warm, smooth tones of this mic preamp design — employed to record everyone from Frank Sinatra to Van Halen — and the unique characteristics of the compressor, are two major reasons why the 6176 is found in studios around the world.
NOW YOU CAN
- Record through the all-tube mic preamp derived from legendary Bill Putnam-designed 610 modular console
- Compress signals with the 1176LN Class A FET compressor section — heard on countless hit records for more than 40 years
- Use the "Split" or "Join" switch for separate or series operation of the preamp and compressor
- Shape your tracks through vintage UA, "handmade in the USA," circuits
Two Classics in One. Thanks to its straightforward controls and hallmark sound, the 6176 is the signal path of choice for engineering heavyweights like Vance Powell and Joe Chiccarelli, plus artists including Chris Martin of Coldplay, Norah Jones, Wyclef Jean, and James Mercer of The Shins. The ability to “Split” or “Join” the preamp and the compressor sections via a simple switch gives the 6176 added flexibility. This is truly UA’s premier channel strip, and among the world’s finest.
The 610B — A World Renowned Mic Preamp. The 2-610 microphone and instrument preamplifier has received praise from many corners. Michael Cooper, in his review for Mix Magazine, called it "hands-down, the most dimensional mic preamp I've ever heard". Peter Wade, engineer/producer who has worked with acts ranging from Wyclef Jean to Jennifer Lopez, said simply, "This box rocks." The 6176 mic preamp sections maintains the quality and character of the 2-610 while adding high-tension power regulation for improved bass response and a front-panel 15db pad switch.
The 1176LN — A Compressor with Tone. As legendary engineer/producer Andy Johns put it, "The 1176LN is the workhorse compressor." In fact, the 1176LN may well be the most loved compressor in history. Its trademark lightning-quick attack and release times and the tone of it's Class A output amplifier have enhanced countless recordings over the last thirty-five years. We've recreated the 1176LN for the compressor section of the 6176 with the same exacting, attention to detail and tradition we use on our 1176LN. The resulting character, heritage and tone simply cannot be found on other channel strips.
- All-tube mic preamp section derived from legendary Bill Putnam-designed 610 modular console
- Signature 1176LN Class A FET compressor section — heard on countless hit records for more than 40 years
- "Split" or "Join" switch allows separate or series operation of the preamp and compressor
- High and Low frequency shelving EQ
- Variable impedance Input, Gain, and Output levels
- Mic, balanced Line, and Hi-Z inputs
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Stereo interconnection via 1176-SA
- Hand-built in USA; backed by 1-Year limited warranty
- Microphone Input Impedance: Selectable, 500 Ω(ohms) or 2k
- Balanced Line Input Impedance: 20k Ω
- Hi-Z Input Impedance: Selectable between 2.2 M Ω or 47 k Ω
- Maximum Microphone Input Level: +18 dBu (2k input impedance and 15 dB Pad in)
- Maximum Output Level: +20 dBm
- Internal Output Impedance: 80 Ω
- Recommended Minimum Load: 600 Ω
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +0, -1 dB
- Maximum Gain: 65 dB (500 Ω input impedance)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 90 dB (@ maximum gain)
- Input Impedance: Selectable, 15k Ω (ohms) or 600 Ω
- Output Load: Impedance 600 Ω (floating)
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz ± 1 dB
- Gain: 40 dB, ± 1 dB
- Distortion: > 0.5% T.H.D. from 50 Hz – 15 kHz with limiting, at 1.1 seconds release setting. Output of +22 dBm with no greater than 0.5% T.H.D.
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 75 dB
- Attack Time: Adjustable, from 20 to 800 microseconds
- Release Time: Adjustable, from 50 milliseconds to 1.1 seconds
- Stereo Interconnection: Optional, using 1176SA stereo interconnect accessory
- Tube Complement: (1) 12AX7A, (1) 12AT7A
- Power Requirements: 115V/230V
- Power Connector: Detachable IEC power cable.
- Fuse: 400 mA time delay (slow blow) / 115 V200 mA time delay (slow blow) / 230 V
- Power Indicator Light: 28 V bulb (type 1819)
- Dimensions: 9" W x 3.5" H x 12.25" D (two rack unit)
- Weight: 12 lb.